Casseroles are one of my favorite things to make because it means that you have a lot of food for the week and it’s all done in one dish! Less clean up, less time cooking individual meals.. it’s a win all around!
I came up with a healthier alternative to a traditional chicken and broccoli casserole dish. I used quinoa in this casserole because there are a million reasons why quinoa is beneficial for you. It’s considered a complete protein source, very high in fiber, gluten free, and full of nutrients to name a few. (Read more about the benefits of quinoa here and here.)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk, divided (I used almond)
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoon seasoning of choice (any basic blend will do)
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 fresh broccoli crowns, chopped
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix the chicken broth and 1/2 cup of milk together in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, seasonings, and the other 1/2 cup of milk. Once the sauce pan is boiling, add in the flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Once the sauce is mixed, pour it into a large mixing bowl and add in the water and quinoa. Mix thoroughly.
- Spray a 9x13in casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Pour in sauce and quinoa mixture.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Add to casserole dish. Add in bite-sized broccoli florets as well.
- Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes. Take out and stir. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and place back in the oven and cook for another 5-10 minutes until the casserole is a creamy consistency.