Trying to stay low carb is tough when you get cravings for some of your favorite foods that are loaded with carbs. Recently while my fiance and I were driving home from the beach, I had an outrageous craving for an italian sub, but didn’t want to deal with the guilt of eating an entire loaf of italian bread that goes along with the sandwich.
Typically, if I’m at a party that’s serving italian subs or other types of sandwiches, I try to only eat the meat and leave behind the bread and cheese. However, I’m not sure if it’s a psychological thing or not, but I never feel full when I do that. I grew up eating everything on my plate. I love food and eating and have a very hard time leaving food behind. Therefore, we decided to head to the deli and create our own low/slow carb version of an italian sub to satisfy our cravings. They tasted just as delicious!
We ate our italian roll ups with a side of my homemade spinach hummus and some baby carrots. Together, it made a very filling meal! Enjoy!
- 1/4 lb turkey
- 1/4 lb ham
- 1/4 lb salami
- 1/4 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 2-3 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Oregano, to taste
- 1. Chopped up lettuce and slice tomatoes into small pieces.
- 2. Layer one piece of turkey, one piece of ham, and one piece of salami on top of each other.
- 3. Spread a thin layer of mayo and mustard on top of the salami.
- 4. Place chopped lettuce, tomatoes, and onion on top.
- 5. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and oregano on top.
- 6. Roll it all up and enjoy!
- *Add more meat if desired to reduce the quantity of roll ups to fill you up.
- *Substitute oil and vinegar for mayo and mustard for a more authentic italian sub experience, however be careful not to add too much or the roll-up will be difficult to eat!
- *Picture is shown without tomato and onion.
- *Quantity will vary depending on the size of your roll-ups and the thickness of the cut of meat.